Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Getting Perspective

I recently started following a blog called "Perfectly Cursed Life" by Kim. I found it by accident (if you believe in such things) while I was checking out Rona Maynard's site. I enjoy Kim's bent on life and recently had some thoughts of my own on her perspective of Taylor Swift (Read Kim's "A Little Bit of Perspective", Nov 16, 2009 ).

Before I begin, I'd like to state that I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift's - I haven't listened to her enough to know whether I like, or dislike, her music. I did, however, see her interviewed once and thought that she was a lovely young girl with a beautiful voice. This isn't about Taylor Swift - it's about perspective.

My own thought train started when I felt that Kim, while focusing on what a person with inexperience lacks, failed to acknowledge their value - seeing life through innocent eyes. Whereas, I agree that the accumulation of experience as time passes can change our perception of past events, at the same time, I think it should be acknowledged that the original experience - just as it happened - may have its own merits. In the case of youthful naivety, sadly, once our own innocence has been lost, sometimes it is only through remembering our past that we can awaken that child-like sense of wonder and belief we may wish to draw upon again.

Aside from whatever thoughts I had, I believe Kim was actually wondering how much time needs to go by before her own improved perspective became valid.

So how much time is enough?

I don't think that there is a right or a wrong answer to this question.

Now that I'm in my 50's, I know I see things differently than when I was in my 20's, my 30's or my 40's. I suppose my perspective will continue to change as I enter my 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's (if I'm lucky). I see and appreciate different things as my focus in life changes and I'm not so quick to discount the value of things that didn't hold much value to me before.

My belief is that your perspective is always valuable - at all points in time - particularly because it is ever-changing.

1 comment:

KJB said...

A thoughtful perspective on perspective.

It made me ponder the value of other perspectives, whether those of a younger or older person or those of someone with completely different life experiences than my own. It is partially a lesson about keeping an open mind, but also about diversity and why we need all generations in our lives.