Monday, September 21, 2020

Reinventing Myself

When I was about 50, enough changes were taking place in my life that I was starting to struggle with my sense of self and my self worth.   Three major roles in my life were shifting - my role as Mom, my role as worker, and my role as spouse.

The kids were grown and no longer needed me in the role of mother that I had settled into.  Also, I took an opportunity to retire early and become a stay-at-home wife - something I hadn't even done when the kids were born.  It was the perfect opportunity to reinvent myself; although, I didn't really see it that way at the time.  In fact, it was more like I fell into it as I began to struggle with my thoughts and emotions.

It is now ten years since I began writing this particular insight and fifteen years since I retired.

I have discovered that, although there are milestone moments which beg for you to redefine yourself, any moment is perfect.  I am happily asking myself daily... am I happy? ... am I doing things that I love? ... am I with people I love?  My answers to these questions now drive the direction of my life and who I choose to be.


No comments: