Tuesday, January 26, 2021

What's Coming Up Next and Do you Keep a Journal?

I just finished taking a ride down memory lane. I re-read all the original posts captured here - both the published ones and those still in draft format. It's hard to accept that time is so fleeting, evidenced by this blog.


I started writing here over a decade ago. As you can see, my content was sporadic. I struggled with my intent for posting personal insights and gave up many times. Today, I was glad I still had them to look back on.


I'm not sure exactly when I did this (maybe within the last 2 years), but I destroyed all my handwritten journals. Why? Because they were like open wounds. I was embarrassed by the thought of someone reading them and judging me - especially, my grown children or grandchildren.


As I am reading Matthew McConaughey's memoir, Greenlights, I regret my decision. I see their value now. They would have made a wonderful resource for some of the material I am writing today. As my past slips farther away from my present, I am finding it difficult to recapture some of the feelings and timing of certain events. I was blind. I could not appreciate their potential value as an emotional measure of my life.


I will not let this deter me from sharing a part of myself with others. And, I am unlikely to counsel anyone to discard their journals in the future.


Going forward, I intend to revise and publish some of the posts that have been waiting for my attention for so long. It will be interesting to see when they were started and whether my views have evolved.


Let's enjoy the ride together.

No comments: