Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Fringe Science: How It Influenced My Thinking About Truth

Since I was a young child, I've always had an interest in fringe science. The skeptics out there, of course, would deny that this is any type of science at all, or may refer to some theories as pseudoscience. My come back has always been, and still is, ... we don't know what we don't know and there is lots that we don't know.


The problem for the lay person, like myself, lies in the questions, "Who to believe?" and "Fact or Fiction?".


Back in my twenties, I read an interesting book about Area 51. I may not be able to say to you with any conviction that aliens exist but I can tell you how you can use the dissemination of misinformation to discredit an idea. It's a form of propaganda. You simply mix truth with lies. The manner in which you weave your story together must be convincing so that people cannot discern fact from fiction. At least, not on the surface. The technique is used often - just look at all the conspiracy theories out there.


Determining truth is not always easy. It helps not to be gullible - meaning, don't believe something just because a lot of people are spreading it as fact. It is my policy not to accept or dismiss ideas based strictly on their popularity. I weigh out how an idea fits into my views and do my own homework should it be necessary.


Today, I don't see truth as black or white - unlike facts. That being said, even facts may vary from individual to individual based on a personal perception of them. But, I find that truth is more personal. Your acceptance of something as fact, is often coloured by your current beliefs.


No comments: