Sunday, October 25, 2020

Appreciate the Satisfaction in Your Baby Steps

Life is a continuum of baby steps.  It only makes sense, then, that your level of joy can be maximized by noticing the happiness you feel as you take little steps throughout your day.


This has been particularly difficult for me.  I always had my eye on the ball, the end game.  So much so, that I often didn't stop to appreciate the process of getting there.  The fear naturally becomes that you will never be truly happy unless you reach your goal(s), and once reached, what's next.


This is what I do differently now.


I look for the satisfaction in the small things I accomplish during my day.

For example:


"Got the laundry done today.  Isn't it satisfying to check something like that off your TO DO list.  I love having clean, fresh smelling clothes to put on.  It feels good to wear clothing that is freshly washed.  I appreciate looking into my closet and having my entire wardrobe to chose from.  Wearing nice clothing makes me feel good."


When I first started this practice, it felt contrived and silly.  It took a bit of focus to allow the visceral feeling of satisfaction and appreciation to surface.


If you are interested in playing along with me, do it the next time you feel satisfied.  If you want to try this out right away, look back in your experience for such a memory.  Now, milk the feeling for all its worth.  Talk about it (if only to yourself).  Keep the conversation positive.  Keep finding words that invoke the feeling of satisfaction and appreciation.  It's not enough to say that you are satisfied.  You have to use words that help you to feel satisfied.


The words we choose in life are very powerful; whether they are external or internal.  Choose carefully. 


This practice can pivot my day from feeling blah to being energized.  Let me know if this makes a difference in your daily outlook.



No comments: