Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Little Something About “Mindfulness Meditation”

Mindfulness Meditation, for me, is about living in the now. I think that the phrase “being present” seems to capture its essence.

Living in the “now” is something I’ve always found difficult to do.  My life seems to be either directed towards what has happened, my past, or what is about to happen, my future.  There are only selective activities that I partake in that engulf me so thoroughly that I am truly focused on the present.

When one engages in Mindfulness Meditation, you are tuning into what is happening around you, and yes, even to you.  It is as simple as becoming more aware of the feeling of your lungs expanding as you suck air into your body with each breath you take in, and then experiencing its opposite, the feeling of contraction as the breath is pushed out by your diaphragm.   You are conscious and aware of yourself and your surroundings including everything that you see, hear and feel.  You use your mind to focus on what you might normally have experienced only at a subconscious level.  You attend to every moment without judgment.

The prelude in my life to this form of meditation arise from activities that consume me to the point that I can only focus on the moment.  They include golfing, bowling, camping, problem solving and, I was surprised when, arguing, came to mind too.  There are probably many more, but these are some of the most consistent.  They are the ones that need my total concentration to perform.  And certainly, the level of interest I bring to an activity ensures that my mind is less likely to wander off, too.  For me, these are good exercises in helping me achieve a state of “being” – just living in the moment.

I have friends who seem to have no trouble living in the present.  They have my sincere admiration.  For me,  I’m still learning to enjoy the ride.

No comments: