Sunday, November 8, 2020

The Value of Fun and Games

I participated in a conversation game this week that reminded me of the importance of fun and games.  I thank the people who opened themselves up and made a connection with the group by sharing something about themselves.  They contributed to my appreciation of the art of play.


As a child, I was raised under an umbrella of rules that were intended to teach me that hard work was rewarded and having fun was unproductive, or a waste of time.  My life experiences reinforced this lesson and I was proud of the accomplishments my hard work resulted in.  It wasn't till much later, as an adult, that I began to value fun for more than its ability to restore my energy.

 

At some point, I began to feel that coined phrase, "there must be more to life".  I had created a lifestyle pattern of working so hard that it took doing nothing just to rejuvenate myself.   Time was a precious commodity.  It had to be spent productively; anything else was a personal indulgence.


By the time I finally saw that the solution was a simple one, I had grown rusty at the art of play.


I love people who see humour in the little things in life.  I strive to be more like them.  If I can find the fun in the small moments of each day, I feel happier.


When I am happier, more good times come my way.

No comments: